A Wall-painting of the ‘Incredulity of St Thomas’ was formerly to be seen in the northwest corner of the nave near the tower. This wall-painting was found about 1891. The subject is seldom met with in England in wall-paintings, although it possesses a sacramental significance and also occurs in most of the early series of the Life of Christ being not only an event in his mission but also a proof of his resurrection. Our Lord holds the banner of victory, the cross with pennon attached. St Thomas carries in his right hand the textus or book of the Gospels in allusion to his having preached the Gospel in India, a tradition which in medieval times led to the apostle being known as St Thomas of India. This feature is unique among English wall- paintings of this subject. The whole picture was outlined in red ochre and tints of yellow and red were used. This was the common mode of execution in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, and it is possibly to the middle of the latter period that we may assign this painting. Decaying plasterwork led to the final disappearance of the last traces of the painting in 1958.
The Font, (shown right) of the Decorated period, was restored in 1911 and again in 1996. On its removal from south wall the Base of a Norman Churchyard Cross was discovered. This now sits near the font.
A Medieval Tombstone currently near the font was found in the churchyard some years ago.
The Langley Tombstone is an incised alabaster slab, from about 1480, currently on the north side of the chancel at the foot of the sanctuary step, though in great part covered by the choir stalls. An old drawing shows that it represents two ladies standing three-quarterwise, wearing the butterfly head-dress; two shields of arms conjoined are placed between their heads and the whole is surrounded by a border inscription. The Langleys owned Lolworth Manor in the time of Henry VI.
The Cutts Tombstones are in the chancel. In stone is that of Sir John Cutts, Knight, died 1615. In brass is that of Margaret Cutts, 2nd wife of Sir John Cutts, died 1610. The Cutts family owned Childerley Hall from the beginning of the sixteenth century to the beginning of the eighteenth, and were patrons of the Lolworth benefice.
A Burial Slab in the west end of the nave, incised with a cross, reads: +Hic jacet Dominus Thomas Quondam Rector hujus Ecclesiae. This was originally near the centre of the nave, opposite the south door and possibly is that of Thomas Fayreclough who was Rector from 1444 to 1448.
Another Fifteenth Century Slab lies in the west end of the nave. ln its carvings are some indecipherable letters in Old English characters, possibly “Johgno”. This is perhaps the stone of John Kynge, Rector, 1486-95, or of John Terrington, Rector about 1483.
The Tombstone of James Bridgman, Rector, 1594-1631, is a dark marble slab in the middle of the chancel floor. The beam of the chancel screen which was taken down in 1891, the remains of which are in the belfry, had on it ‘J B 1627′, and so was possibly put up by him.
A representation of Royal Arms with The Ten Commandments on either side (copy shown below), dates from 1721, the original being currently stored in the tower. This was erected by Theophilus Holbrook, Rector from 1720 to 1764. A non- resident, he also presented a set of communion plate – silver chalice, paten and flagon – dated 1740. It was made at Exeter.
The modern chalice and paten were formerly the property of the Revd R M Stapylton and bear the inscription “Distance separates – The Eucharist unites”.
There are three Bells. One is dated l703, the others have no date. They were probably made by Richard Keene, of Royston.
The East Window, pictured left, was erected in 1922 in memory of Emily Frohock, of Lolworth Grange, and represents Christ the King seated on the globe, his feet upon the Serpent, surrounded by Saints. On his right are Isaiah, St John Baptist, St Augustine of Canterbury, St Aidan and St George. On his left are St Peter, St John the Evangelist, St Bartholomew, St Cecilia and the Holy Innocents.
The Churchyard contains the Grave of Richard Daintree, after whom the Daintree River in the far north of Queensland, Australia, is named. Daintree (1831-1878) had been the Government Geologist in North Queensland and later became the Agent-General for Queensland in London. His parents came to live at Lolworth Grange and he is buried with them in a railed enclosure at the west end of the church, shown below.